Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass

Written by Ali Zarrouk on .


How is it done? Gastric Bypass

The operation involves the creation of a very small pouch from the top 5% of the stomach. The pouch is then joined to the small intestine thus bypassing the remaining 95% of the stomach and about a metre of the small intestine. The operation reduces the amount of food that can be eaten at a single sitting and reduces hunger through a powerful effect on the gut hormones. Patients tend to lose about 75%-85% of their excess weight loss.


  1. Effective and durable weight loss can be achieved in most patients.
  2. More powerful effect on insulin resistance than other operations with an 80% cure of type II diabetes. This is so significant that the operation is now advocated to cure diabetes in normal weight diabetic patients.
  3. Normal food can still be eaten just in small volumes.


  1. Multivitamins supplements together with iron and calcium tablets must be eaten daily. Vitamin B12 injections are needed every 3-6 months.
  2. Risk of leaks and bleeding from the staple lines and the joints
  3. Late complications can occur due to ulcers, bowel twists and blockages (2-4% ).
  4. Not easily reversible
  5. Technically more demanding and may not be possible to be done laparoscopically in patients who had previous abdominal surgery.


Contact Us

Suite 13, Level 1
Campbelltown Priv Hospital
42 Parkside Cres
Campbelltown 2560 NSW

+02 4625 4745

+ 02 4625 7335